Friday, September 7, 2007

The Forgotten Umbrella

As I left my house yesterday morning for school I took my umbrella as the sky was looking rather ominous. A typhoon hit Japan yesterday night, but it landed more west towards Tokyo. In any case we had a bit of rain and some strong winds as a result nearly 500 km away in Shiga. This is all beside the point though, the thing is I left my umbrella on the bus stop bench yesterday morning rendering it completely useless in the event of the impending rain. This morning the skies were looking rather gloomy as well and I thought to myself "it's a shame I left my umbrella on the bus stop bench yesterday. I'm gonna have to buy another one at the convenience store today." However, I arrived at the bus stop to find, lo and behold, my umbrella, right where I left it. This tells us one of two things. Either:

1) I'm really out there in the countryside. So far in fact that no one else but me uses the bus stop on a daily basis.

and/or

2) Japan is the only country where you can leave something that's easily stolen, like an umbrella, somewhere and can come back the next day to find it right where you left it.

No comments: