Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Past Two Weeks

Since I've been pretty lazy about updating this in the past few weeks I thought cover the past couple of weeks in one go.

Last Friday there was a 10,000 firework, fireworks spectacular in Hikone. I was sitting ridiculously close and it was fantastic.





Saturday, I had organized an event at the rooftop beer garden of the ANA Hotel in Kyoto. It's right by Nijo castle so the view was fantastic and it seemed like a good time was had by all.



Sunday, I headed to Taga to check out the illumination/festival they were having at the shrine there. Also very beautiful.





The new teachers for the year are here now. I've only met one of the five new teachers who are in my city. He's a fellow Canadian, and seems like a decent guy.

A couple days ago I also found out I passed the entrance exam for the JET translation and interpretation course this year. I forget how many people they take every year, but it's a pretty small number (40-80) from all over the country and somehow I managed to squeak in there.

Thursday and Friday night were spent at beer gardens in Kyoto saying goodbye to friends who are heading home.

Yesterday I went to Summersonic with my buddy, the Ha, who just started JET this year as well and is living down in Osaka. Summersonic deserves it's own post and it was only yesterday so I'll try and get my impressions up soon.

Today I've just been chilling, doing laundry and watching the Olympics. I've been pretty impressed with the coverage NHK has been doing so far, and I must say it looks and sounds spectacular with the LCD TV and surround sound speakers.

No comments: