Thursday, January 24, 2008

冬がいよいよやってきた

Today in my mind was the first true day of winter we've had so far this season here. Sure we've had some snow before but it was always too warm and never stuck around for more than a day. Today however, we've been having steady snowfall all day. At first it looked as if it would be like the snowfalls before as it was melting on contact, but then around 11 the winds picked up, the temperature dropped, and it started to stick and pile up. It's still falling at a good pace now with no signs of letting up. Tomorrow's forecast is looking very similar as well so it looks like the snow will be here to stay for a little while at least which is great. I was really getting sick of all the cold rain.

Another interesting thing to mention is the very perceptible change in temperature that occurs in the short 3 km or so between my house and my school. I'd say on average, it's generally always about 2 degrees Celsius warmer at my house than at school. The reason of course, being that the school is that much closer to the mountains and the cool mountain air funnels down there but dissipates by the time it reaches my area (if it even does). Japanese weather can be very random from place to place even within a relatively short distance. Back in Toronto there's nothing really like that. Whatever the weather is like in Toronto it's gonna be pretty much the same in Mississauga, Scarborough, Newmarket, or Ajax. On the other hand, in Taga for example, they generally get much more snow than here and it's maybe 15 km north where I am. Not what I would call "far" by any means. In any case, keep this snow coming, I'm loving it, even if my house is freezing.

No comments: