Friday, February 29, 2008

職員バレーボール大会

Today after work I joined a few of the other teachers from my school for a city-wide junior high school teachers volleyball friendly tournament. Since my school only had 4 participants and we were had teams of 9 on the court at a time, we were paired up with another one of the smaller schools to make a full team. I should also mention this morning we had our first, and only practice where we played against the girls volleyball team and we destroyed 25 to 9.

Each match was 2 sets first to 21 with each team playing twice. To make a long story short we lost all 4 sets. Although, we did lose to the top two teams of the tournament if that can be any kind of consolation. I was hoping I would get the chance to really smash one down hard too (I was even gonna call it a "Gaijin Spike" if I got the chance), but I was playing to close to the net and couldn't really get a good chance to get a decent run up and blast one down.

I was really surprised how hardcore some of these teachers were going. You'd think it would be the younger ones going all out too, but actually the middle aged men were the biggest threat on any of the teams we played. One team had their 60 year old principal playing with them and he was smashing down ace jump serves like he was taking a piss.

The matches finished earlier than expected so each team played once more. This time we played a team more on our own level and beat them pretty good. I was happier with my performance in this match too, as I scored the final 2 points for my team. I managed to get a 50% power Gaijin Spike off too, but still couldn't get one with a prime run up.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to take my camera with me, but there's another match in March or April so I'll take some pictures that time. Instead you'll have to settle for a picture I took in the toilet today of a spider that was just chilling up against the wall while I took a crap. Probably one of the fastest craps I've ever taken too since I was worried he would jump on my leg at any second. I didn't want to kill him cause I was just wearing thin, kung-fu style shoes and because of the position he was in I wasn't sure I could get the job done properly.

No comments: