Sunday, December 2, 2007

違う雰囲気

In my town there is a main road that runs from West to East basically splitting the town in half. In the main part of town most of the shops, the train station, and schools lie north of the road. Once you get past that main section of town the north and south sides of that road are like two different towns.

Normally, I am heading to the main section of the town so I ride there on a street a couple of blocks north of the main road. Riding this road all you will see is small patches of houses in between blocks of fields. There's an electric substation on the way as well, but that's about it. It's a pretty quiet road and you can ride it straight into the city though so it's very convenient and easy for me to use. As a result, I had never really ventured into the area south of the main road until about a month ago.

Riding a road about an equal distance south of the main road as the one I ride on the north side I was very surprised to find that the south side of the town is like a completely different world. There are no fields, houses both new and old dominate the landscape. There are also a bunch of small shops, restaurants, and little bars all along the way. There are a couple of factories on the south side as well. It just generally has a much busier feel to it. The first time I was riding back home down the south side I was just blown away by how the atmosphere was completely different from the north side. It was if I had discovered a whole new town in the town I thought I had pretty much seen everything in.

No comments: