Thursday, December 20, 2007

運転免許

Four months after arriving in Japan and two months since my last appointment at the DMV, I finally received my Japanese driver's license on Tuesday.

When I went Tuesday morning I handed over all the forms I had ordered from Ontario and translated as well as a a little paper I prepared on the Ontario licensing system. I was told to wait in the same room I did last time. This time however, there were no questions though. The lady (the one I wrote about last time that I wished I would have had then) told me she just had to confirm the forms. After that I signed a paper saying I had no illnesses that should preclude me from operating a car/bike. I had my picture taken, took my eye test and paid my fees. 45 minutes later I had my license in hand. If only it could have been so easy last time.

The design of the Japanese license is pretty nice, but it's made with fairly thin plastic. I was playing the newest Initial D game in the arcade the same day, and got a "license" with my saved info on it from the game and it was considerably thicker and sturdier than my actual license which was a little surprising.

No comments: